NT Building Advisory Committee Building Policies
This policy clarifies the application of the NT Building Act to minor works to wet areas of houses (class 1) and associated outbuildings (class 10) in gazetted building areas.
1 Building approval is required where there are alterations and/or additions to buildings including:-
- New walls or partitions
- Breaking into or altering elements of the building (walls, floors etc)
- Installation of new fixtures or fittings (not being replacement of like for like)
- Replacement of a window
2 Certification from a NT registered certifying plumber (for design and completed works) is required for all plumbing and drainage works including:-
- All sanitary drainage works
- Replacement of any plumbing or drainage service, fixture or fitting with a non-similar/different component (not being replacement of like for like)
- Relocation, removal or addition of any plumbing or drainage service, fixture or fitting.
3 There is not a requirement for certification from an NT registered certifying plumber or building approval for maintenance and/or minor renovation or refurbishment of wet areas to houses (class 1) or associated outbuildings (class 10) which includes:-
- Maintenance of any fixture, fitting or surface to a wet area including tiling.
- New joinery
- Replacement of like for like including a plumbing fixture or fitting with a similar component. Removing a bath and installing a shower or vice versa IS NOT LIKE FOR LIKE.
The term maintenance and/or minor renovation or refurbishment does not include sanitary drainage nor the installation of a new service or fitting nor the creation of a new opening in the walls or floor.